Rebatching a Failed Milk Soap
|Yesterday, I showed you the way I made a milk soap and I promised we would look at the soap that failed. Today will be the day that I show you how I re-batch a failed soap.
Collect needed items:
When I pulled the plastic bag holding this soap out of the mold, there was a brown gelatinous mass under the soap and then I knew that my soap had failed. After making faces and scowling at the soap, I grabbed a stainless steel steam table pan that I use for other projects. I unwrapped the soap and dumped the soap and gelatinous goop into the pan. Tossing the bag into the trash can, I walked over to the oven and turned the temperature to 200° Fahrenheit. I grabbed my soaping gloves and a dough knife that I use for cutting soap.
Now that I was armed to deal with my soap, I started slicing the soap with the dough knife. As I made my third slice about 3/4 inch into the soap, the soap started leaking. Ack! This white-ish fluid mixture flowed out a hole right in the center of the soap. While I think this was very cool, I’m glad I was cutting the soap in the pan. According to our Technical Support Team, this fluid is a mixture of sugars, glycerin and water.
I chopped my failed soap until all of the soap was in small chunks, but you can also use a cheese grater. I poured boiling water over the soap and placed it in the oven. Now, this is where you do not mimic my actions since I made a mistake. I used 1 – 1/2 cups of water when I really only needed maybe 1/2 cup at most! This was too much water and made my soaps shrink quite a bit as they dried.
The soap was placed in the oven for 30 minutes to cook. After the 30 minutes, I stirred the soap and tried to break down the larger soap clumps. After stirring for about 60 seconds, I grabbed the whisk attachment for my immersion blender and mixed for another 60 seconds. This time the soap looked much smoother but it still had lots of soap clumps that I didn’t want. The soap went back into the oven for another 30 minutes.
This time, the soap had a puffy appearance and after stirring it was determined to not have anymore soap clumps. I poured the soap into a 1 gallon bucket so I had an easy place that I could add fragrance and color. I added more fragrance because after the process of rebatching, the soap did not smell like raspberries anymore. I added more of the Concentrated Purple Raspberry color because I wanted to have a pinkish color.
I used the whisk to mix the additions into the soap completely. Unfortunately, I forgot that to use a whisk means that I added air to my soap. Whoops! Once everything was completely mixed, I poured my soap into the mold and let it rest for 24 hours.
The next morning I cut the soap into bars. The soap was still very soft and I was worried that I had messed up the re-batch. I grabbed my soap and took it to our Technical Support Team and when I showed them my soap, they promptly burst out into giggles. After the giggles had abated I learned that while my soap was fine, I had made a floating soap by whipping my soap and adding too much water. So I headed back to the kitchen and stacked the soap to allow good air circulation. I allowed the soap to cure for several days before slicing up the soap for samples.
Now you have a great example of how to re-batch your soap and things you really shouldn’t do when re-batching.
I hope my educational experience has been helpful to you, because I learned a lot!