Howdy adventurous makers! I was just sitting here brainstorming new ideas for the blog. I realized that we do not have a shampoo bar recipe on our blog. So that is what I am going to share with you today! I am really excited.
I have never actually tried a shampoo bar until now, but I have heard many people talk about them. Some of the benefits of using a shampoo bar are that you get to choose what ingredients you want to include. Reading the back of shampoo bottles can be daunting because the ingredients are full of long words that most of us can’t pronounce. Another plus side is that shampoo bars are great for traveling. No need to worry about leaky shampoo bottles or angry TSA people harassing you.
For this recipe, I followed our 6-5-4-1 method of soapmaking. If you haven’t heard of this method, then go check out a series Taylor did call Introduction to Soap Making. This method makes it super easy to create a fool-proof batch of soap. For this recipe, I decided to add Cyclomethicone and Dimethicone. These oils add slip and glide to help keep the hair from tangling. Dimethicone also conditions the hair and skin, so it is great for your hair and scalp! I chose to use Cabana Boys Fragrance Oil because I have a weakness for fruity smells. I think Cabana Boys makes you feel like you are sitting on the beach with an umbrella drink in your hand.
Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
Cabana Boys Fragrance Oil
Microwave Safe Container
|Recipe in Grams
170 grams Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
142 grams Coconut Oil
113 grams Olive Oil
29 grams Mango Butter
64 grams Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
177 mL Water
9.07 grams Cyclomethicone
9.07 grams Dimethicone
9.07 grams Cabana Boys Fragrance Oil
|Recipe in Ounces
6 ounces Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
5 ounces Coconut Oil
4 ounces Olive Oil
1 ounces Mango Butter
2.26 ounces Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
6 ounces Water
0.32 ounces Cyclomethicone
0.32 ounces Dimethicone
0.32 ounces Cabana Boys Fragrance Oil
|Recipe in Percentages
37.5% Hydrogenated Soybean Oil
31.25% Coconut Oil
25% Olive Oil
6.25% Mango Butter
Q.S. Sodium Hydroxide (Lye)
2% Cabana Boys Fragrance Oil
To make this soap:
1. You’ll want to mix the Sodium Hydroxide and water and set aside to cool. Remember that the lye goes in the water, not the water into the lye. I was told,” Do what you otter and put your chemical in the water.” Now I’ll never forget!
2. Next weigh the Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, and Mango Butter into a microwave-safe container, and heat until fully melted.
3. Make sure the temperatures of both the oils and the Lye are under 120º F before mixing. Now pour the lye solution into the oils and using an immersion blender, mix until you reach trace.
4. Add the Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, and fragrance oil. Blend until fully mixed.
5. Pour the raw soap into the prepared mold. Let cool overnight before popping the soap out of the mold.
I hope you enjoy this Top Secret Poo Bar Recipe! 😉