Egads! It’s September and I’m thrilled to share the products for our September Doggy Dozen Program.This list was inspired by soap. I’ve picked twelve items that will be great additions to soaps as luxury oils, additives, and more. I’m excited to make products with ingredients that help the dogs and cats over at Four Paws! Here’s the list for you!
- Hemp Oil, Refined
- I love oils that I can use for making more than just soap. Hemp Oil falls in this category as I think it is a great luxury oil in soap as well as a great ingredient for lotions, lip balms and massage oils. I’ve also found that Hemp Oil gives products great label appeal!
- Macadamia Nut Oil
- Another fabulous multi purpose oil, Macadamia Nut Oil makes fabulous lip scrubs and lip balms due to the light skin feel of this oil. When used in lotions, creams or massage oils, this oil provides drag and glide to the finished product. Can you say decadent?
- Neem Oil
- I have to admit, it has taken me a few years to wrap my head around using Neem Oil because the strong pungent odor was … well, strong! According to claims and lore, Neem aids in healing of topical skin disorders such as rash, psoriasis, eczema, burns and acne. I can’t say I’ve tried Neem for these reasons, but I do know it can add label appeal.
- Blaze Orange Day-Glo Color
- When making soap, bright colors can always make your soaps eye catching! Blaze Orange can color your soaps from a light orange to a bright neon orange. What better way to make your soaps stand out?
- I’ve been of the firm opinion that if you want to start making soap and only can afford one piece of safety equipment, I would rather you invest in a pair of goggles first. While gloves are helpful and important for GMP, your skin can heal. Your eyes on the other hand, cannot heal and I want you to keep your vision! Protect your eyes!
- Calendula Petals
- Calendula Petals are such a bright and cheery yellow! We use these pieces of joy in tub teas a lot and a little in soaps. No matter what you make, Calendula Petals are a great ingredient to have on hand!
- French Green Clay
- Let me tell you that every time I use French Green Clay, I feel like should be waving my hand around in a dramatic fashion while saying “Dahling, it’s French! It’s good for you!” Of course, every time I think that, I start giggling hysterically. No matter how much I want to be a goof, I truly enjoy using this fabulous clay.
- Pumice, Fine
- Pumice makes incredible soaps for the resident grease monkeys, gardeners, and tinkerers. The scrubby nature of this ingredient gives your soaps that extra oomph for scrubbing off anything that wants to stick to the hands.
- Lavandin Essential Oil
- This lavender hybrid is great for your pocketbook and I bet your customers won’t be able to tell the difference between this and Lavender 40/42. If you are looking for something that will give you that classic lavender scent, try Lavandin because I think you will be surprised!
- Lemon Verbena Fragrance Oil
- I love to be happy and Lemon Verbena is one fragrance that puts a smile on my face! The scent of lemon melds with herbaceous and floral notes to make a scent that is loved by many.
- Coconut Lemongrass Fragrance Oil
- Goat Milk Cream Base
- I know, I know. This isn’t something that can be used to make soap, but you can use it to pamper yourself or create a product to compliment your amazing soaps. This staff favorite is considered a staple in my Christmas gift baskets and for a good reason! It feels great on all types of skin and different environments from arid to humid and everywhere in between!
P.S. Supporting local programs like Four Paws is fun. Check your local yellow pages for a shelter or rescue group that needs your help. Find a furry friend to bring home or help support them with time, services or donations. Shelters and rescue groups truly value every little bit of support!