After I made all of my oil kits, I made 20 lye kits to match. I calculated how much lye I would need for each soap kit using the lye calculator. For having 6% excess fat, each lye kit would need to have 2.2 oz of Sodium Hydroxide. Before measuring my lye, I needed to put on some safety equipment. That included an apron, goggles, and gloves. I also got out a small bottle of vinegar in case I spilled the lye on myself.
When measuring dry lye, I first found that my spoon was too far above my scale and container. The stream of lye went from my spoon to the container and out all over the counter. I went from 4 inches above my container to just above the lip of my jar. If lye were not caustic and much bigger the round balls would look like child’s play!
I also learned that lye will suck water right out of the air, even in dry, dry Utah! If I worked to slowly the lye began to cling to the edges of my container making it hard to measure out. It was like trying to measure sugar from a damp container. What a mess! The lye went every where except where I wanted it to go. Some of the lye on the counter turned into droplets it collected so much water! Wow, I didn’t know we even had that much water in the air.
I am so glad that I was wearing gloves and goggles due to the mess I made. That was a good reminder of safety first. During clean up, after I had washed the counters and scale down with water I rinsed with vinegar to make sure everything was cleaned up. Though I smelled slightly of vinegar I am glad to know the counters are safe.
Now that all of my kits have been made, I am very nervous and excited. I don’t have to wait, I am ready to go. I am just not sure if I am quite ready to be the woman behind the immersion blender just yet! I guess we shall see how the soap making turns out. Wish me luck!